Friday Links – Mother’s Day Lovin’
Anyone procrastinating on getting Mother’s Day gifts, sending cards, or planning an outing to celebrate the mother(s) in your life? If you’re in that
slowly sinking boat, here are some links to websites, blogs, and stores to get you started and give you a little inspiration to start preparing for the big day.
- Jungi Style’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide – From fabulous kitchen gadgets to beautiful scarves, there are some great and stylish options here.
- FabSugar’s 50 Sure-to-Please-Mom Finds – All Under $50
- Huffington Post’s Mother’s Day Gifts: A Small-Business Gift Guide – This is a great way to support small, local businesses, and what Mom wouldn’t want you to do that?
- FitSugar’s Celebrate Moms With These Fit and Healthy Gifts – If your Mom is active, or wants to be, this is a great list for you to check out.
- Rachel Ray Magazine’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide
Are you a traditionalist when it comes to Mother’s Day? I’m a big fan of sending flowers when I don’t get to see my mother on her birthday or Mother’s Day. What girl doesn’t LOVE to have a huge bouquet delivered?
- Mother’s Day Flowers 2012: A Buyer’s Guide For The Florally Challenged
- Inexpensive Mother’s Day gifts
Planning to make your mom a meal? A fun family brunch is a great way to enjoy the day so if that’s what you’re thinking, check out some ideas and recipes below:
- Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Brunch Recipes for Mother’s Day from Women’s Health
- Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge from OhSheGlows
- Martha Stewart’s Mother’s Day Recipes and Menus
- Kid-friendly Mother’s Day Recipes from Family Fun
- Rachel Wilkerson’s Rise And Dine: Artichoke Strata
- Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes from Kath Eats Real Food or Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes w/ Blueberry Glaze from OhSheGlows
Wondering what I did for Mother’s Day? I was lucky enough to see my Mother last week so I was able to celebrate her birthday, which was in April, and an early Mother’s Day simultaneously. Her Mother’s Day gift ended up being a pretty, drapped front cardigan, perfect to throw over any outfit (she’s always cold). I’d originally gotten her a box of Godiva truffles but for some reason they didn’t survive in my apartment… Gnomes?
Have a great Friday night!
May 11, 2012 | Categories: Fashion, Fitness, Food | Tags: All You, Angela Liddon, Artichoke Strata, Banana Republic, Blueberry Glaze, Blueberry Vanilla Bean Pancakes, brunch recipes, cards, cheap flowers, Children's recipes, cookbooks, dish towels, Disney, Fabsugar, family cooking, Family Fun, FitSugar, flowers, gifts, gluten-free pancakes, gluten-free recipes, Godiva truffles, healthy brunch, healthy recipes, Huffington Post, inexpensive flowers, Jungi Style, Kath Eats Real Food, knives, Martha Stewart, Mother's Day, Mother's Day Gift Guide, Mother's Day Menus, OhSheGlows, Rachel Ray Magazine, Rachel Wilkerson, Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge, sending flowers, set of knives, support local businesses on mother's day, The Life & Lessons of Rachel Wilkerson, vegan pancakes, Vegan recipes, veganism, vegetarian brunch, Vegetarian recipes, Whole Wheat Pancakes, Whole Wheat Yogurt Pancakes, William Sonoma, Women's Health, X-Men Cookie Cutters | Leave a comment
MCLV’s Gift Giving Guide
The holidays are stressful enough without having to worry about what to get who and last-minute scrambling to come up with creative ideas. So in the spirit of enjoying the holidays rather than worrying about them, I’m here to bring you a brief list of suggestions for your friends, family, co-workers and party hosts.
Fashion-minded: Do you have someone in your life who lives for fashion? Whether its your sister, best friend, mother-in-law or boyfriend who likes to stay up to date on the trends, here are a few ideas for their holiday gift.
- Magazine subscription – Style.com, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Vogue, Vanity Fair… Easy for you & much appreciated by them.
- A manicure, pedicure or spa treatment – The holiday’s are stressful for everyone so why not treat your loved ones to some much deserved pampering?
- One of my best friends got me the greatest birthday gift the year before last, something I highly recommend for anyone who loves their clothes and wants them to keep them in perfect condition. A handheld garment steamer!
- Winter accessories are fun to pick out and the perfect gift for the gals, guys or kids on your list – From girl’s knit gloves and boy’s fleeces to women’s hats and men’s scarves.
- Some fashion books that I highly recommend are Nina Garcia’s Little Black Book of Style and The One Hundred, Parisian Chic: A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange, Style A to Zoe by Rachel Zoe & Influence by the Olsens
- Gift certificates for great stores like Bloomingdale’s, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus & Barney’s – Tip, make sure that the gift certificate can be used online if you’re not sure whether they have access to the store in question in their town.
Fitness-minded: If you have a friend or family member who loves their gym time and is always looking for a new and exciting workout or sport to try out, here are some ideas to please them for the holidays.
- Check out Groupon, PopSugarShop, LivingSocial & similar sites for deals on gym memberships, fitness classes and workout gear
- Gift certificates are always appreciated since the recipient gets to pick out exactly what they want, try LuluLemon or Nike to make them squeal!
- A BPA free water bottle like Klean Kanteen, Lifefactory or Nalgene
- A Yoga mat, Pilates set or barbell/kettlebell sets
- Workout videos are a great choice since you can find one for virtually ever type of workout – Jillian, dance workouts, Pilates, weights, yoga… So many choices!
- An eco-friendly tote to carry his/her things to the gym/grocery store/office is versatile choice as well – Try Green Girl World, World of Good or EcoBags.
Foodie friend: We all have them in our lives, the people who absolutely live for their food & wine. They always know the best restaurants to go to, always shop at the greatest stores and always serve up the most gorgeous spreads for their guests.
- Wine Club – This is a pricey gift, but a great one if you feel like splurging for a wine lover. A couple organic vineyards to look into are EcoVine Organic, The Organic Wine Company & Benzinger.
- Cooking class – This is something that I’ve always wanted to do but have never gotten around to, so if your friends are anything like me, they’ll be thrilled by a gift that gets them out of their apartment and doing something that interests them.
- A food basket or “food of the month” club
- A beer making kit like this one is perfect for someone who likes to get their hands a little dirty for a fun weekend project.
- Gourmet coffee & a cute mug is a great gift for a coffee lover, especially if they’re an office worker since it’ll brighten their mornings!
- Cookbooks like Alice Water’s Chez Panisse Vegetables, Sarah Matheny’s Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love or Alicia Silverstone’s The Kind Diet are great choices for friends and family who are looking to eat a little healthier this upcoming year (and let’s be honest, who isn’t?)
Host/Hostess Gifts: I usually keep a handful of host/hostess gifts around during my busy social seasons so that I don’t have to run out at the last-minute when I could be putting the finishing touches on my outfit for the evening instead.
- Flowers/potted plant – I love white arrangements (baby’s breath excluded – of course) so I prefer bouquets featuring white tulips, lilies, posies & peonies. If I’m taking a taxi or train to get to the party I like to get a potted plant since it’s a bit more durable for the journey.
- Wine – A bottle of wine or port is a timeless and easy to carry thank you gift. I love to support California vineyards and keep bottles of my favorites on hand for just this sort of occasion, if you’d like some Sonoma suggestions I highly recommend Sojourn, Eric Ross, Valley of the Moon, Benzinger & Audelssa.
- Cheese cutting set – I received this as a gift from my Aunt and absolutely love it, it’s both beautiful and functional.
- One of my favorite gifts to give is the Vinturi Wine Aerator – It’s always a success, trust me!
- Diptyque’s scented candles in a sweet little bag are another nice choice, they’re elegant and simple.
Enjoy your shopping trips and be sure to hit LIKE on MCLV’s Facebook page so you can get all of the great sale alerts that I’ll be posting later this week!
November 22, 2011 | Categories: Fashion, Fitness, Food | Tags: barbells, beer making kit, candles, cheese cutting set, clothes steamer, cookbooks, Cooking class, Diptyque, eco tote, fashion gifts, fitness gifts, flowers, food basket, food of the month, foodie gifts, Gift certificate, gift giving guide, gourmet coffee, Groupon, Holiday gifts, hostess gift, Kettlebells, LivingSocial, LuLuLemon, magazine subscription, manicure, mugs, Nike, pedicure, pilates, PopSugarShop, potted plant, spa treatment, vinturi wine aerator, water bottles, wine, Wine club, workout videos, yoga mat | 4 Comments